How to Make Goat Milk Yogurt

I’m lucky enough to own three dairy goats. I have a constant supply of delicious raw goat milk, and, no, it’s not goaty tasting. It’s sweet and creamy. I make lots of cheese, ice cream, and yogurt. I love yogurt, and with the store bought good stuff costing $5 a quart, I save a lot of money.

Yogurt is very easy to make, but there are a few tips to making good goat milk yogurt since goat milk has different qualities than cow milk. I think our homemade yogurt is the most delicious yogurt I’ve ever tasted. I encourage you to try making your own yogurt whether you have access to raw goat milk or if you’re using store bought cow milk (I wouldn’t use store bought pasteurized goat milk). You’ll be surprised at how easy it is! I’ll give the basic instructions first, then go into detail about, well, the details.

Delicious Goat milk yogurt with strawberries, blueberries and a drizzle of maple syrup. My favorite summer breakfast. Yum!

Ingredients and Equipment for Two Quarts of Yogurt:

2 quarts of raw goat milk (or raw or pasteurized cow milk)
2 tablespoons high quality yogurt or two frozen cubes of yogurt in a glass measuring cup or jar
2 quart saucepan
thermometer (optional)
Yogotherm or small cooler with 2 mason jars and lids

1. Heat milk to 180. Remove from heat and let cool to 115.
2. When milk has cooled, pour a little milk into the jar containing the starter yogurt and stir well.
3. Add the starter back to the cooled milk, stir well and immediately pour into the yogotherm container or into two quart mason jars. Seal.
4. Put the yogotherm contain into the insulator and let sit for 8 hours. If using a cooler, put the jars in the cooler and fill with warm (not boiling hot) water to insulate the jars. Let sit for 8 hours. Then refrigerate. The yogurt will continue to solidify slightly overnight.

DETAILS:

Starter Culture
You can purchase starter culture. That works great. Bulgarian yogurt is my favorite starter, producing the thickest yogurt. However, it gets expensive, so I just purchase plain whole milk yogurt and freeze it in an ice cube tray and use one yogurt cube per quart of milk as a starter. I don’t bother defrosting the frozen yogurt before using. When the milk has cooled to about 120, I pour some milk over the cube to melt it. My favorite store bought starter yogurt is Dannon. I’ve tried all the organic, greek and bulgarian yogurts as starters over the years, but here in Albuquerque, Dannon has proved to be the most lively starter. When I lived in New York, I would use Seven Stars Farm or Hawthorne Valley yogurt as a starter. Don’t use low/non-fat or flavored yogurts. There must be live cultures in the yogurt. Old yogurt with not so lively cultures will not produce good yogurt. It will make yogurt, but the flavor may be very tart or runny.

Incubation/Insulation

You need to keep your yogurt at a steady warm temperature (not over 115 degrees). Some people do this with towels and pilot lights. That’s too much for me. For a long time, I used a small Igloo cooler, pre-heating it with hot water, but I recently purchased a Yogotherm non-electric yogurt “maker,” and I love it. It just makes the process so much easier for me. My yogurt is much more consistent, and I’m more inclined to make it regularly with the Yogotherm. They cost around $30. And since I go through a few quarts of yogurt a week, it’s already more than paid for itself.

Temperatures
You don’t have to bring the milk to 180 if you want a “raw” yogurt. But your yogurt will be thin because the yogurt cultures have to compete with the naturally occurring bacteria in the milk. Bringing the milk to 180 doesn’t really pasteurize the milk, but it kills off enough of the natural bacteria so that the yogurt bacteria can culture the milk without competition. This is important if you want additive-free thicker yogurt.

Cooling the Milk

I fill a sink with cold water and frozen plastic water/soda bottles in order to cool the milk quickly. This saves me time and produces a sweeter yogurt in my experience. To let the milk cool from 180 to 115 would take hours in my hot kitchen. You don’t want the milk to cool down much below 110 (yes, you can make a thin, yogurt beverage by simply adding the culture to just warmed milk, but 110 to 115 is ideal).

Thick vs. Thin Yogurt

Goat milk yogurt is naturally more delicate and thinner than cow milk yogurt. If you are used to store bought yogurt, especially cow yogurt, you should know that it is usually so thick because of additives, usually pectin, carageenan or non-fat milk powder. This yogurt, even the organic stuff, is gross to me. Why would I go to the trouble to make a healthy homemade cultured dairy product and then put something like dry milk powder into it? I don’t get it. But I do get that some people are so used to the sludge-like thick store yogurt that they think goat milk yogurt is too thin or delicate. (Think Yoplait, what used to be gourmet yogurt!). To get the thickest goat milk yogurt you need to heat the milk to 180 so that the yogurt culture doesn’t have to compete with the milk bacteria. The competition weakens the yogurt culture so that it is not able to fully act on the milk. So, heat your milk if you want thicker yogurt. Also you must have an active culture. In my experience, dry bulgarian culture (you can buy them online) and Dannon plain whole milk yogurt produce the thickest yogurt.

You also need to consider how long you let the yogurt incubate. Sometimes I leave my Yogotherm out for 24 hours. It’s still yogurt, but it’s usually thinner and more tart. If you refrigerate (to stop the culturing process) too soon, then the bacteria doesn’t have enough time to work their magic on the milk. The result is thinner yogurt. It’s still yogurt, just thinner. For me, 8-10 hours works the best. Once you get the hang of the process, experiment with different times to see what works best with your milk and climate and taste.

Have fun and enjoy! – Jen

Yogotherm yogurt insulator/incubator and a quart of homemade goat milk yogurt.

This entry was posted in Goat Cheese, Recipes, Urban Homestead and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

79 Responses to How to Make Goat Milk Yogurt

1. Amanda says:

Thank you ! I just bought starter culture to make Goat Kefir!
    This is very helpful.

2. Jenn N says:

Do you mind me asking, as I was looking to purchase this type of yogurt maker, what makes the Yogotherm insulate at the correct temperature? Do you put some warm water in with it?
    Thanks in advance for your help.

3. Hi Jenn, It’s basically a thick styrofoam insulator in a plastic bucket type container. There is a separate smaller plastic bucket that fits within the styrofoam. Once the yogurt is at 115 or whatever temp you use, the styrofoam keeps it warm. When I first got the yogotherm I was dismayed at all the styrofoam, but it’s so much easier for me to use than putting hot water in a cooler (or pilot lights and blankets), I love it now. I’ve had it over a year, and the styrofoam seems like it will hold up well. J

4. jebra says:

Jen-

Perhaps you can help me sort out what is happening in my kitchen. I was wanting to make yogurt…and heated my goat milk to 180 degrees. Before I could get the starter added…it curdled! I’ll change plans and make a soft cheese instead…but not what I had in mind! The milk I used was a couple days old–Do you think the the natural acid level of the milk change that much? Or do you have another suggestion?

Thanks

5. Were you using raw milk? cow/goat? It does sound like the milk had acidified/cultured enough, but that would only be if it was raw. Could the milk have been older than you thought?

If you are working with older raw milk, you could just heat to 160 or 170. That might be just high enough so that the yogurt cultures don’t have to compete that much with the milk bacteria.

Good luck!

6. Joanne says:

Why do you not recommend using pasturized goat milk for yogurt? I am sensitive to cow’s milk, but don’t want to pay the prices to buy goat yogurt. Raw goat milk is more difficult to find than the pasturized goat milk at the grocery store.

Thanks!
    Joanne

7. Hi Joanne,
    I prefer the taste of raw goat milk to the store bought version. If you like store bought, there’s no problem using it! Have fun! Jen

8. Jessica says:

I dont have access to raw goat milk, i tried to make my first batch of goat yogurt using a 24 hour culture time. I used store bought meyenberg 2% goat milk. It came out very thin and watery, yuck. If i let it culture longer will it be thicker? I have a yogourmet 2qt electric yogurt maker and i used to packs of yogourmet starter. I want a longer culture to remove most of the lactose. any suggestions? Its possible i let the milk cool too much- would this have an effect on consistency? It also accidentally got unplugged for about an hour early on. Could this be the problem?

9. Hi Jessica,
    It seems like there are many things that may have happened to adversely affect the quality of your yogurt. I’ve never used store bought goat milk, so I don’t know if that affects it any, but I don’t think it should. I’ve tried to address your questions below.

1. Letting the yogurt culture longer. I would say that no, letting the yogurt culture longer than 24 hours will not make it thicker, it will likely make it thinner. I generally let my yogurt set for 8 hours (often overnight because I forget!), but usually it’s not 24 hours.

2. You may have used too much culture. I would think that you would have only needed 1 pack of culture or 2-4T of starter yogurt. More is not always better with culturing. If you use too much culture, there’s not enough food for the culture, so they use up the sugars, and then go kaput. It’s better to use less culture, especially if you’re culturing for a longer period of time.

3. I don’t know that the longer culturing time removes more of the lactose than say a culture of 10 hours. Did you read this somewhere? I’d love to see a link about this.

4. Yes, letting the milk cool too much can definitely effect how the yogurt cultures. If you want thick yogurt, the temp needs to be up at 110 or so, no higher than 120, when you add the culture. You can make “raw milk” yogurt, by just adding the culture to fresh room temperature raw milk, but it will not be thick like store bought yogurt. Think kefir instead.

5. Unplugging could be a problem if the milk cooled too much. I have the “wireless” version of the yogotherm, so I don’t have to worry about electricity.

Good luck and let me know how you make out.
    Jen

10. Amber says:

Hello,

I wanted to know your recommendations for making the type of yogurt I want to make. I have only three considerations:

Sweet yogurt, lacking sourness
    Thin yogurt (since I only use it to make lassis — I don’t like spoon yogurt)
    Most beneficial bacteria (I would assume the more culture strains the better health-wise?)

I’d just as soon use goat’s milk, since I think it is easier on the human digestive system.

Do you think I should use raw goats milk with a starter of some kind? How much should I heat it in the beginning if I don’t want to kill off the good bacteria?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

11. Hi Amber,

Yogurt is always made with a starter of some kind -whether you buy it or use previously made yogurt. If you didn’t use a starter, then you’d be making curds & whey or cheese. You don’t want to overdo the culture strains -read my post, I write about this.

When you make yogurt, you add the “good” bacteria in the form of a starter so you don’t need to worry about killing off good bacteria when you heat the milk. You can try making yogurt without heating, but the bacteria present in your milk *may* be not always be the kind you want, and they may be able to overpower the yogurt bacteria you’re adding.

Typically if you don’t heat your milk, then your yogurt will be thin. You should at least heat it to room temperature if you’re not starting with warm raw milk. Since you want thin yogurt, this won’t be a problem for you.

I find all yogurt to be slightly tangy, even store bought cow milk yogurt, so I don’t know if you mean just not super tangy. I would think that if you are using store bought goat milk (pasturized), that your yogurt would be more tangy and less sweet, but I’ve never used store bought goat milk, only raw from my goats.

Why don’t you try it, and let us know how it works for you?

Jen

12. jessica says:

thanks so much for your reply. It was very helpful. 24 hour cultured yogurt is recommended if your doing something called the specific carbohydrate diet (SCD diet). Apparently the longer culture reduces the lactose content to almost nothing. The next batch I made came out much thicker, it must have been that my previous batch cooled too much or that I used 2 percent milk instead of whole milk. It hard to find whole goats milk- I had to go to several grocery stores and finally found it at walmart! I think I will try adding less culture and see if I get even thicker yogurt. Thanks again!

13. Bill Taylor says:

Which in your opinion is the better of the two, Yogomet or Yogotherm? Thanks. I’m having trouble with the one I have so I have to get one.

14. seth` says:

for cow milk yogurt, the 180 degrees thing is to change the protein structure of the milk which leads to thicker yogurt. it’s discussed in the Harold McGee book, ‘on food and cooking.’

15. laura says:

Where do you get goat milk yogurt culture? Or is it fine to use cow milk starter. I’ve been using Redwood Hill Farm Kefir as a starter, but I am not sure if it’s the same thing, if it has the same abundance of beneficial bacteria. Any thoughts?

16. rosanne says:

i originally bought goats milk yogurt at the store, then made a batch, now i use 1/2 cup of the batch to ‘start’ my new one. here is a starter though:
    http://www.giprohealth.com/yogurtstarter.aspx non dairy can be used with any milk.

17. Hi Laura, you can use any fresh yogurt with live cultures as a starter culture.

18. I’ve only used the Yogotherm so I can’t comment on the Yogourmet. I like the yogotherm, but I had equal success with just using quart mason jars and a hot water bath in a thermos for setting the yogurt.

19. Crysalismum says:

Thanks for this I have just got my first dairy goat & am looking forward to trying yoghurt

20. Congratulations! They are so much fun to have on the homestead, aren’t they?

21. Rachel B says:

I’ve been making yogurt for years, but I always used cow milk. We have our own goats and for some reason I just finally got around to making yogurt from their milk. I made it the same way I’ve always made yogurt, which happens to be the same way you make yogurt. The taste is fantastic, but the consistency is a little off-putting. It’s gooey and stringy. I would say it’s reminiscent of melted cheese. I’ll eat it, but I was just wondering if you’ve ever had this issue before. Thanks!

22. Goat milk yogurt is thinner than cow milk yogurt (as you know), but it shouldn’t be gooey or ropey. I don’t know for certain why you’re getting the consistency you’re getting, but I’ve read different things over the years about this.

Are you heating your milk to 160-180 or just to 115-ish?

I’ve gotten this ropy consistency a few times, but not in a long time (since I first started milking) and not consistently enough for me to pinpoint a reason.

But for what it’s worth, here are the different theories I’ve heard.

1. The culture could need refreshing. If you get different (non-slimy) results from using a powdered yogurt culture or a different brand of yogurt culture, then the culture could be the culprit.

2. Another reason I’ve heard is that is can be an indication of sub-clinical mastitis in the goat. I don’t want to alarm you & I’m not saying your goat milk is not healthy or your goats are not healthy, etc. It’s just something I’ve heard. Sub-clinical mastitis doesn’t present like acute mastitis, but will show an increased bacterial presence in the milk which could affect how the yogurt bacteria are able to populate the milk (or not). I’m not a vet or expert in this…again…it’s just what I’ve heard. To test this, I would try to separate your goat milk and make yogurt with each individual goat’s milk and see if you get the same results. You could also get the milk tested to be sure.

-One goat keeper on a list serve mentioned that if a goat gets sub-c mastitis, she will offer the goat her own fresh milk to drink, and it will act in a “homeopathic” way to clear it up. Whether or not this actually clears it up…I don’t know, but once one of my goat’s milk seemed off in this way and I offered her milk and she drank it up like it was candy, and the problem corrected itself. [side note...I always make sure I have good minerals available for the goats -so important!].

-My other goats would never drink their own milk. Only the one goat who seemed to need it. Weird. I know.

3. You could also take a look at your milk handling practices in case it’s a microbial thing but not related to the health of your goat (so…proper filtering/cooling technique -ice water- if you’re not using your milk right away, proper cleaning of buckets, etc.)

I know it’s a lot to rule out. Personally I’d probably start with the easiest which is trying a new culture (especially a commercial powdered one), sterilizing all the buckets, yogurt making supplies, looking at milking practices, try heating the yogurt to 180 (if you’re not already).

Good luck and let me know how you make out. Jen

23. Patty says:

I am thinking of buying a share of a milk goat. I will get the milk frozen every few weeks.
    Will this sort of milk make good goat yogurt?
    Patty

24. Freezing milk will separate the fat slightly in goat milk. I’ve never made yogurt from frozen milk, so I can’t comment on how it will affect the culturing. It will probably be fine, but If you’re concerned, see if you can get a sample before purchasing the share.

25. Eileen S says:

Hi – I was wondering why you recommend not using store bought pasteurized goat milk to make homemade yogurt? Thanks in advance!

Eileen

26. char says:

i just bot goat 1 qt goat milk and a thermometer
    and did exactly like directions using 1 5g packet of yogourmet yogurt freeze dried yogurt starter……put in mason jars with towell wrapped around….24 hours later……total liquid…what happened? dont know if i should do it again and waste all the money again…

27. SolsticeSon says:

Just for your info – when you heat the milk to 180 you are killing all the naturally healthy attributes of your wonderful raw goat’s milk, you are pasteurizing it. If you want to keep those in tact, just heat the milk to 110 or 115, then mix in your starter and let it incubate in the yogotherm all the same.

28. Because I have goats, and I don’t care for the taste of pasteurized goat milk! Store-bought is fine if that’s all you have or that’s what you prefer.

29. Yes, SolticesSon, (though just bringing the milk to 180 is not quite pasteurizing), but I’m adding cultures back to it, so I feel okay about heating the milk. Normally though I prefer it raw, and use raw for my cheese as well. Nota bene, just heating the milk to 110 or 115 will result in runny yogurt which I like, but FYI for those of you who like a thicker yogurt.

30. Hmmm, Char, well, I’m not sure what to say. Did you follow my instructions? Because I say to let it sit 8 hours not 24. I typically don’t use freeze-dried yogurt starter. You don’t mention what kind of milk you bought. Was it raw? Did you heat the milk to 180? Some thoughts: your starter could have been old, the milk could have been contaminated, the temperature during the curing may have been off. There are so many factors that come in to play. If the goat milk was expensive, maybe try with cow milk and regular yogurt as a starter to get the process down and then switch to goat milk?

31. Tania says:

Hi Jen,
    Thank you for your great recipe. I need some advice though please?
    I wondered if you have ever used the Easiyo yoghurt maker, I bought one and am having difficulty using it to make goats milk. My other question is that I used shop bought fresh goats milk and after I heated it and had a semi-ok attempt at making the yoghurt, the yoghurt smelt quite strong of goats if that makes sense. The goats yoghurt with cultures I bought in the shop didn’t have this smell, neither did the milk until I heated it. Any advice you have would be great thank you. Oh yes I too have experienced the stringy, gluey consistancy, would this go if I put in the fridge after cultivation?
    Tania (UK)

32. Jen Lassen says:

Great recipe! I’m going to buy some organic goat milk at the farmers market this weekend!
    I usually make yogurt by making it into a glass jar, and then just heat the oven to 250 F and then cover the jar with a tea towel, and put the jar on the hot spot of the cook top. No need for any extra yogotherm or cooler. Also, I keep my house warm, AC doesn’t kick on till 82 degrees F, so I know that helps. I just thought I’d throw that out there for those of you with no equipment like me!!

33. cwarner says:

how long with the yogurt last? Can I freeze the yogurt and make it into a dessert pop?

34. Mark Zigoris says:

First of all, I want you to know that I am an experienced cow milk yogurt maker and I have perfected my technique so that I get consistently good, tasty batches. I have all the paraphenalia, even a digital thermometer. My wife wanted goat milk yogurt because some food guru said it was better for her. So, you can understand my disappointment when both batches that I tried to make came out soupy.. The first batch, I think was because I had not read your directions at that time and heated the milk to 200+ degrees. I didn’t know better because cows milk usually bubbles about 180 degrees. Secondly, the culture was from an older batch of commercial yogurt. After reading your directions, I tried the second time with Meyerburg goats milk (ultra-pasteurized) and that turned out a little better but still did not get that “more solid” consistencey with cows milk. Is this the best I can expect or can I do something better. I live in urban Cincinnati and not sure if there is goat milk farm around the corner. Help! My ego is at stake. Mark

35. Probably a couple of weeks. I don’t know since we usually eat it within a week. I’ve never tried freezing yogurt, so I can’t give you any tips there, but if I was going to try making “frozen yogurt” I think I would add any sweetener, fruit, etc. mix it really well, then pour into your popsicle molds or container. I haven’t tried pouring yogurt into an ice cream machine. That would be interesting! If you try it, please let us know how it turned out!

36. Hi Mark, Sorry it’s taken me a while to respond. Your ego is safe. Goat milk yogurt *is* more delicate and slightly thinner than cow milk yogurt, plus if you’re starting with store bought, you’re potentially starting at a disadvantage. That said, some culture’s work better than others, and the yogurt shouldn’t be runny. I think it’s essential to have a fresh culture. I’ve had the thickest yogurt (goat) with commercial cultures (the bulgarian), but it’s moderately thick even using fresh yogurt. But, no, it won’t be as thick as cow yogurt without an additive.

Also, N.B., I’ve never used store bought goat milk and never used ultra-pasteurized milk for yogurt making, so your mileage may vary with my instructions. You might be surprised that you may be able to find raw milk even in urban cincinnati if you start nosing around. Try rawmilk.org

To make it as thick as store bought cow yogurt, you’d probably need to add a thickener, which I’ve never done so I can’t advise there (but as you’ve probably noticed looking at the ingredients list, there’s usually pectin, or nonfat dry milk solids or carrageenan or gelatin added as a thickener. I don’t need my yogurt to be as firm as store bought cow milk yogurt, in fact that always seems weirdly firm to me.

And as a health nut myself who has very particular views on what healthy food is, I don’t think goat milk yogurt is any healthier than cow milk -it depends on the quality of the milk you’re starting with. However, people who don’t tolerate cow milk may tolerate goat milk better. But that doesn’t really have to do with the “health” aspect.

Hope this helps and hope you’ve had some success!

37. Thanks for sharing your experience!

38. Mark Zigoris says:

Thank you for your response. My pride and ego have been restored. btw, I typically drain my cows milk yogurt for a thicker consistency. I haven’t tried to drain the goat milk yogurt but I will try small portion of it. I will probably stick to what I know. Mark

39. Moira Tait says:

I am a beginner at making my own yogurt. I have been using store bought goats milk in a Yogourmet hot water bath maker. I have been using freeze-dried starter and skim milk powder. Using all the steps of heating and cooling, then only 4 hours in the machine and in fridge it goes. It is lovely and tangy and a little thinner than store bought. No straining required, I don’t mind the thinner consistency. I would like to stop buying the starter. Can I use some of my last batch as starter?, If I can how much would I need to use?
    Jogalady.

40. Reese says:

Where did you get your yogotherm? The only ones I can find are $40 plus shipping! : (

41. It’s been so long, I don’t remember where I got it. Sorry! Maybe Ebay will have some deals.

42. Amberlee says:

Once I make a batch of my own yogurt, can I then use it as a starter?

43. yes, though you will find that it will lose it’s effectiveness over time. you can freeze the original successful batch in an ice cube tray, and then the microbially strong batch will last you longer.

44. Mark Zigoris says:

All of my experience is with cow’s milk. I have given up on making goat milk yogurt but I thought that the culture tends to get stronger as you continue to use the previous batch as starter. When I was growing up, we always had starter in the refrigerator. If

45. Mark Zigoris says:

If we ran out for some reason, I would be dispatched to one of our Greek neighbors (I am Greek) because every household had a reserve batch of culture. When I make yogurt, can it be called Greek yogurt because I am Greek?

46. haha! perhaps if you make it “a la grecque.”

47. Kylie says:

Are you talking degree’s celcius for the hearing process?

48. Kylie says:

I meant HEATING process, not hearing process.

49. Everything’s in Fahrenheit….

50. N says:

can you split the recipie and use 1l of whole goats milk and then should you use 1 or 2 tbsp of liberty goat yogurt as the starter? My yogourt maker says to use 1 cup of yougurt with 2 qts of milk, how come you only use 2tbsp with 2qts? Do you still put it in for 8 hours if you split the recipie? I am the only one who eats goat yougurt because i am allergic to cows

51. Bill says:

I make goats milk yogurt frequently. To have a thicker consistency, you need to heat the milk to 80 C and leave it at this temperature for at least 10 minutes. If you just heat the milk to 80 C and immediately cool it, the yogurt will be much thinner. Also, you need to ferment the batch for 24 hours to get a thicker yogurt. This also eliminates more of hte lactose in the milk. I use a freeze dried starter from Yogourmet which works well.

52. Thanks for weighing in with your experience!

53. fozzywacca says:

I have been making cows milk yogurt in 1/2 gallon glass jars (like juice used to come in in the 90s, I got them at a yard sale. Now you can get them filled with milk for an additional $2 deposit at some health food stores), using my crock pot and a lamp dimmer switch to create a 115 degree water bath. I used to strain it, but that’s a messy clean up. Now I don’t strain it and use it as a yogurt drink because I wanted to retain the whey for its protein and I mainly use it to make smoothies. I’d like to try goats milk, but only have access to store bought pasteurized goats milk. If its already pasteurized is it necessary to heat it to 180 first? Will this help with the protein structure as Seth commented? Will this have any effect on thickening my cow milk yogurt since that’s already been pasteurized as well?

54. Mel says:

I love your recipe and can’t wait to try it! I am very interested in purchasing a yogotherm and hope that you can help me understand the following: Instead of pouring the milk directly into the yogotherm’s plastic bucket container, do you think I could pour it into a glass mason jar, then place the mason jar directly inside the yogotherm? That way, I would be using the yogotherm like a “better cooler” without the need for hot water. Will that work? Thank you in advance.

55. I don’t think a standard mason jar would fit in the yogotherm, but you could use a more squat jar. If you try, let us all know how it works!

56. Yolanda says:

Is the plastic lining in the Yogotherm safe? It seems like that would be such a nice and easy way to incubate yogurt!

57. PatB says:

Thanks for this information on yogurt making. About 40 years ago I made my own yogurt from a neighbors personal cow that she could not use all that was produced, fresh raw milk, great. Anyway at that time I was using a Sultan yogurt maker with 5 (I believe 8oz jars). Like you I used plain Dannon yogurt for my starter and just ate what I did not need. Heated as you suggested and let it set at an 8 hour setting and just put it into the frig in the morning. If I was in the mood for a little fruit flavoring I got the best baby food available and used a teaspoon or two added to the 8 oz jar of yogurt. For my next batch I just bought a new/fresh container of Dannon plain and started again, never had a bad batch.

What do you use for storage after the culture is complete, the Yogotherm container? This sounds perfect since all I read about today’s electric makers so many of them fail and the end product is wasted.

I have access to some fresh grass fed goat milk and am very interested in trying this.

Thanks for your inspiration.

58. Pingback: Using Goat Milk | Fey Hill Goat Farm

59. goatstaog says:

Thank you for sharing your variable experience. I’ve made yogurt a handful of times as I have one of those neat incubators that has funky little jars inside to make one hit wonders x 12 .
    I live on Vancouver Island and while there is tons of goats it’s increasingly hard to find unpasturized milk. The young generation doesn’t seem to care, the older folk go to the shopping center and the middle ground is thinned out who want utmost healthy food.
    THere are a few Island dairys so I”m going to try their yogurts for starters but the Dannon idea is good to hear as a possibility. From what I can tell, mostly the Goaty flavor milk is an industry myth to focus attention back to the cow. Unjust! thanks! pEace!

60. Beth says:

Hi! I’ve never made yogurt before, but i would like to. I have a question for you. I have about a half gallon of raw goat milk that is frozen – and several months frozen. Can i make yogurt from it? Will freezing it have sabotaged its ability to make yogurt? Do you have any tips for me?

61. Anna says:

you explained it well – I just finished giving this a go – hopefully, in 8 hours, we’ll have yogurt! thanks a bunch!

62. Elisabeth says:

Hi! Thank you SO much for this recipe and all the extra good info! I just purchased a freeze-dried Bulgarian culture and am in the process of making my “Pure Mother Culture.” The directions say to keep the Mother (which is a 1 to 2 cup batch) in the refrigerator for up to a week and to use 1/2 to 2 tsp. of it for each 1 Cup raw milk to make yogurt. I bought a Yogotherm and want to do the 2 Qts. at a time, so I was wondering if I can follow your recipe above with this? Do you think I could freeze the “Mother” in ice cube trays and then use 2 cubes each time, like you stated in your recipe? Also, since a new “Mother” must be made every 7 days, do you think I could start a Mother Culture from the previous Mother Culture that was frozen into ice cube trays? I would very much appreciate your input… I’m totally new to this! :)

63. Esther says:

I live in Sydney, Australia and can purchase pasteurised yoghurt. Is there a reason you would not recommend using this for making yoghurt? I would love to make goats yoghurt using goats yoghurt as a starter. Would love to hear your comments based on your experience. :-)

64. I make yogurt and all of its byproducts from cow milk, but I now have a source of raw goat milk from my daughters 4-H project, and would like to start using it. Can you tell me a little bit about the difference in flavor? Also, can you strain it the same as you would to make greek yogurt or yogurt cheese, as I do with cow milks? Thanks

65. Miles says:

I learned that more than a tablespoon of yogurt in a quart of milk will make it thin and sour. Don’t overdo the starter amount. I also let it sit abou 10 hrs in cooler half immersed in the hot water I used (use double pans to heat milk-cheap pans). Same temp 110f.

Also learned milk first has to be heated to the higher temp to break down the proteins and then cultured at a lower temp for certain (most common) yogurt cultures.

And some yogurt culture works at room temp and some cultures are supposed to be stringy. Maybe the commercial yogurt had more than one and your results only incubated one.

And you can always strain it in a coffee filter to make it thicker and even make cream cheese.

And never use ultra pasteurized. Good luck finding milk that isn’t ultra. Try farmers market, if they can’t sell it there they can hook you up to pick it up somewhere ( laws about that get in he way).

66. Pingback: The Urban Caprine | ABQ Stew

67. Tania says:

Hello,
    I have tried to make goats yogurt using raw goats milk and using an Easiyo yogurt maker.
    I have found that the yogurt is stringy and thin it won’t even stay on my spoon long enough to reach my mouth!!! :-)
    This is the method I used:
    1. I followed your recipe exactly up to the adding of the culture.
    2. Then I added boiling water to the easiyo incubator and placed the container with the goats milk (which I had heated to 180 and cooled to 115 degrees before adding culture) into the water and placed lid on incubator.
    3. I then left it over night.
    4. When I opened it I was really disappointed.

I was wondering if I should have left the milk with culture to reach room or fridge temperature, then put boiling water in the incubator and then add the container to incubate over night or for 8 hours? Could adding boiling water to the incubator when the milk was at 115 degrees made the milk too hot to create yogurt?

Any advice would be great as I would like to master using the easiyo rather than have to buy another one and I have to travel miles to find raw goats milk so need to get it right! :-)
    Many thanks
    Tania

68. sunstonefarm says:

Hi Tania, Yes, it’s possible that the milk got too hot when you added boiling water. Since it’s difficult for you to get raw goat milk, I suggest experimenting with store bought cow milk. That way you can get the process down with your particular yogurt maker then try again with goat milk. Good luck.

69. Pingback: Homemade Goat Milk Yogurt | A Musing List

70. Tania says:

Hi there,
    Please could you tell me who manufactures the Yogotherm?
    I live in the UK and it is impossible to find one.
    Many thanks
    Tania

71. sunstonefarm says:

Sorry I don’t know who manufactures Yogotherm. Maybe a google search will turn up more information?

72. Judy Master says:

Have a yogurt maker (small) and make yogurt with my fresh goat milk as per the instructions, but the yogurt tastes “goatie” and nobody around here will touch it but me. We can’t have any goatie flavoring or the family won’t eat it. Any thoughts? I’m not using old milk, am using Dannon for my starter, etc. so I feel like I’m following the rules. Any way to prevent that “goat” taste that seems to come with time and warmth that you can think of?

73. Tania says:

Hello again,
    I just thought I had mastered the goats yogurt, I took the lid off and the top was really thick. I placed it in the fridge over night and the next day it looked ok until I put spoon in it. I stirred it gently as it was not a consistent thickness, it had lumpy bits. After the stirring the yogurt went really thin again. Do you know why this may of happened.please? Many thanks. Tania

74. Katie says:

Hello. Thank you so much for taking the time to walk through all of these steps. I just joined a co-op and am attempting my first go at yogurt! I purchased the Yogortherm. I’m curious whether I am to pour the milk directly into the yogotherm, however, or if you put it into mason jars and then put the jars within the Yogotherm? Thanks so much for your time!!

75. Tom says:

If I wanted to add honey and blueberries could I add them before I placed the lid on the jars.?

76. Renate says:

Thank you for your recipe, here in Australia it is a bit hard to get raw goats milk, so I used shop bought milk. My first attempt was a dismal failure. Then found your recipe and it worked a treat. I have an electric yoghurt maker and following your recipe made the most beautiful yoghurt. Thanks again.

77. Carol says:

Good Day: I don’t have access to fresh goats milk, is it possible to make yogurt with powdered goats milk only.

78. sunstonefarm says:

I’ve never used powdered milk but I’ve heard others use it. If you try it let us know how it works!

Sent from my iPhone

79. Jenna says:

So for a starter can you use a plain goat milk yogurt, like redwood hills farm for example, although it has been pasteurized? Also would you freeze the plain goats milk yogurt in the ice cube trays like you do in your directions? Say you heated the milk around the temperature of 130-140 would the consistency be between thick and runny?